Citroën DS – the saga – moving on

Since I’ve been told via the Citroën forum and various other channels that the amount quoted to repair my driveshaft/axle was outrageous I’ve decided to reject it and pick up my car. I’ve requested that André simply get the engine started so that the car can be raised and I will collect it with a trailer. Given that he charged my 520€ for collecting it there is no way I’m making that mistake again!

So the question is now whether I should continue with another repairer or just put it up for sale and cut my losses. The masochist in me wants to continue but I’ve been burnt so many times…

  1. I thought it was a bit high but I just assumed that’s just the price of things in the Netherlands/Belgium.

    Any chance you can take 2-3 weeks of vacation and work on the car yourself?

    The guy may have assumed that if you didn’t even ask how much it would cost to tow the car to his shop, you’ve got money to burn.

    • I’m independent so every day off work costs me anyway. It’s better that I work and pay someone else to fix the car (generally).

      Also, I have no workshop or tools (or talent) so I wouldn’t be able to do much.

      Money to burn I don’t have.

    • Kenny
    • May 17th, 2010

    I’ld bite the bullet and keep working on it. As you said before, you won’t get your money out of it. So it would be better to continue and have a car you can rely on afterwards. Just my 2 cents…
    Btw, you don’t need a workshop. You saw where I work on my cars. It’s not as convenient, but it’s possible.

  2. Dear Andrew,
    I can’t advice you in your decision to restore or to sell. I feel sorry for you that you bought a car with a lot of work. I did read your story on the If you need some advice, feel free to call me on the number 0031 38 423 10 34. Maybe I know some-one who can help you with the car (although he is not in your area). If you are looking for a garage near Antwerp I can recommend Dirk Oosterlinck in Aalter.

    • Thank you for the comment. I’m talking with Sanders Garage at the moment. Hopefully they will have time to take my car. I’m waiting to hear back from them.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: